Monday, March 9, 2009

At Capacity

Everywhere in my life are animals. They dictate what time I wake up in the morning and slowly have taken up more room in the monthly budget. I factor my animals into my social life - will I have enough time in a day to play fetch with the dogs, give the cats a few scratches, toss out scraps to the chickens? And the livestock are a completely different headache. Normally, people put them out to pasture with some water and hay and call it a day. But I had to go and turn them into pets. Although I'm pretty sure they don't miss me, I feel obligated to twice weekly visits because they're my responsiblity, because I want them to be tame, and because they are freaking adorable. So now my weekends are tailored around the amount of time I can spend at the land and I've become more concerned about quality time with the various pets, than with friends. So that is IT. No more animals.


Winston's forlorn expressions coerce us into bringing him along to, wherever we are headed, despite the inconvenience.



Seamus licked my hand right after this photo was taken. And it was gross.

The chickens quickly took over our carefully planned compost pile

(I have absolutely no complaints with Rooney.)


Obnoxious.

Enough is enough and luckily, I know when to say when..........

Unfortunately, however, it is spring which means that craigslist is brimming with assorted baby farm animals. And for the first time, I actually have a place to put them (should they accidentally find their way into my possession). Speaking of accidents, today I found these and these. Sigh. What can I say, this is beyond my control. I'll try to be stronger next spring. For now, I need to figure out what exactly it is that pigs and sheep eat.

No comments: