Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Blame it on Mexico

I haven't been very inspired to write much lately. Maybe it's the sand, the surf...


The free margaritas?

Perhaps the lack of internet access led to a mental block. Regardless, we've been away from here, away from the land, away from Texas. Due to the previously mentioned distractions, I actually didn't worry much about the well-being of our livestock, especially since Dwayne agreed to swing by once or twice while we were away. His cheerful fourth of July greeting via text message indicated to us that no news was good news and probably, the animals were fine.


Still, I couldn't help but miss Boo a little on our ride to the airport yesterday. As our van swerved and bounced through the desert at approximately 180 mph, I glimpsed two donkeys snoozing under a papaya tree (or something tropical). Without thinking I pointed and shouted "Donkeys!" The passenger behind me muttered a correction under her breath "Burros!" (aye aye aye). Donkey, Ass, Burro, Shmurro - they're all the same to me.

(Horses. Not burros. I double checked)


We stopped by the land for a brief visit today but the tremendous heat kept us from lingering. Now that I have verified all animals are present and accounted for, I'm dreaming of just one more afternoon on a beach. One more pristine morning of mimosas and nachos (Yes. Nachos for breakfast. Not sure why I came home). And a mojito hecho en Mexico.


But we're back, and life must return to normal. Instead of handmade guac and pico, we'll eat Taco Cabana. Instead of freshly squeezed lime juice and tequila, we'll settle for Lone Star. Instead of horses on the beach, we're very happy with our emotional donkeys. Not quite as exotic, but home, nevertheless.

No comments: