Saturday, June 26, 2010

For Sale

In a hurried attempt to visit the animals last night I carelessly tossed food in a bucket and quickly walked towards the freshly installed gate. The lofty goal was to get all livestock on one side of the new fence so that we could have free reign of the other side and enjoy dinner free of donkey noses. I was too focused on making the donkeys follow me to notice that a rattlesnake was curled in my path. I saw it just one step before stepping on it...............

..................................................(this is your opportunity to take a moment and really picture the scene. Jenna, bucket, 5 donkeys trotting behind, rattlesnake in front of gate)...................................
.............................................

Ok, got that picture in your head? In case you wondered, I did scream. I screamed, (screamed, screamed) then jumped backwards and watched the serpent quickly wriggle forward, then stop, giving me plenty of time to clearly identify the raccoon-ringed tail and rattle and triangular head. I screamed some more, then I heard wild mooing and turned to my left in time to see the cows tearing up the hill, on the other side of the fence, then through the gate and straight towards me (I was still holding the feed bucket). At this point I backed into the new fence, three sets of horns surrounding me as the cows aggressively pushed each other to get to the bucket. I have no idea where the snake is at this point. The fence is at my back, horns in front of me, Chula kicking the air angrily next to me and a rattlesnake lurking somewhere. It was too much.

I completely lost it. I threw the bucket towards the cows and cried. Just shut my eyes and dreamed of my manicured lawn at home. Standing in a dusty pasture with the cows, a snake, and bucking donkeys suddenly seemed totally ludicrous.

Yea, I'm a little stressed. Leaving town for few days tomorrow in order to help conduct a large event. The differences between that life and the farm life seem irreconcilable, at the moment. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed by the thought of what we want to do at the land. But rarely do I feel overwhelmed by the actual animals and wildlife out there. But not today. Today I'm feeling scared to return, annoyed by the cows, and frustrated in general.

Two rattlesnakes in a month and no other snakes in sight. What did we sign up for? Hopefully I'll have happier news next week.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bless your heart. Okay... I will give you a heads up on a secret that a neighbor helped me with one time. If you can borrow a pot-bellied pig - do so. Otherwise - invest in one and train it to hang out around your pastures where you seem to be running into the snakes. The urine of a pot-bellied pig seems to keep the rattlesnakes at bay - along with a few other varmints.

No Name Farm/Ranch said...

I haven't heard about that type of repellent yet but I'm willing to try anything! We'll probably hold off on that until we move out there but I will give it a try as soon as we do. Thank you! Keep the advice coming, we need it!