Sunday, December 9, 2012

Stupid Chickens: Part 12

Tila Tequila is the last remaining chicken from our Austin house.  We moved all of the Austin ladies out to the "farm" about 9 months ago.  Since then coyotes, hawks, neighbor's dogs, etc. have taken their toll.  But 'ol Tila has out lasted the other 8 ladies.  I think a key part of her successful strategy is to turn her nose up to the communal hen house and stubbornly reside on the porch of the house.  Yes, Tila has set up shop on the porch, and has refused to be transplanted to the hen house regardless of how many times we physically move her after she's roosted for the night.  You may be wondering what's the big deal if a helpless chicken decides to sleep on the porch, but if you've ever had to play hopscotch in the morning to avoid the chicken "bombs" from the previous evening, you understand.  So, this evening I moved the firewood stack that has previously been her roost to throw her off.  Tila has lasted this long because she is resilient and adaptable.  After the sun set, I wandered around the porch hoping to f ind a Tila-free porch.  Alas, she found another roost atop my lawn mower.  Stupid (or incredibly stubborn) chickens.


1 comment:

Kimberly said...

HA! I have 12 buffs who would LOVE to join her right now! They have roosted about everywhere they can besides the chicken house and are now roosting on the metal rack...pooping all over preston weilding material. And they lay their eggs under the wood pile, which took me two weeks to find, and which I have to crawl on hands and knees, reach in up to my shoulder and pray to God I don't grab a snake just to harvest their stinking pullet eggs.
I feel your pain!